Public Defenders Office
Hiring Salary: $6,671 – $8,985 per month, DOQ Closing Date: February 7,2021 11:59 PM
Whatcom County Public Defender's Office is currently recruiting for two experienced Deputy II attorneys to fill key roles in the department.
- One position is a 1.0 full time budget ongoing position.
- One position is a 1.0 full time grant funded position. Grant funding for this position is currently through December 31, 2022.
Primary Duties Include:
- Acts as court-appointed counsel representing individuals accused of misdemeanors or felonies in superior, district and juvenile courts.
- Represents appointed clients in all phases of criminal proceedings, including arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial preparation, plea negotiations, trial and sentencing.
- Responsible for the investigation and preparation of each case assigned.
- Primary caseload consists of misdemeanor, juvenile, or felony cases based upon experience.
- Assists management and other staff, as directed. Complies with legal standards and requirement
Hours of Work: Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Three years as a successful practicing attorney with an equivalent trail background in criminal law that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Must be a current member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association, OR must be a current member in good standing of another State Bar Association AND must become a member of the Washington State Bar Association by passing the next Washington State Bar exam.
Spanish language fluency is desired.
Background Check must meet County Criteria for criminal justice positions.
Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver's license at time of hire and throughout employment.
To apply visit: www.whatcomcounty.us/jobs